Thursday, October 30, 2008

In the end, only kindness matters

The girls and I went searching for pumpkins. The first place we stopped was a stand that proudly proclaimed they donated 50% of their proceeds to the National Habitat. Unfortunately, the cheapest pumpkin in the lot was $15, which times four, was simply just out of our pumpkin budget. We moved on to a local Sunflower Market that opened last week. After spending a great deal of time allowing each girl to pick out their "perfect" pumpkins, we made our way to the end of the line. Twenty minutes later the cashier gave me our total of $10.40 and in return I handed him a twenty dollar bill. With a look of distress and a long line behind me he announced that he did not have change for a $20 and informed me that I would need to pay the $.40 so that he could give me an even ten back. I explained that I did not have $.40 but I could pay with my card or he could give me quarters for change. Confused he called out for a manager and the manager told him to wait and he would get him some one dollar bills and some change. At that point the older woman behind me reached into her purse and handed the cashier $.40. I told her it wasn't necessary, but thanked her profusely when she insisted. In short, she was probably tired of the stupid cashier and didn't want to wait any longer in line, but her kindness stayed with me. It never fails to amaze me the impact of a complete stranger's kindness.

2 comments:

Angel said...

Isn't it amazing how some strangers can leave their mark in your mind ?

Nicole said...

Believe me 40 cents are well spent to make a line move faster. LOL.

And you will always remember her kindness.