As much as I tried to prevent it, I managed to get the stomach bug that went through the house. Yesterday at 4am I was completely miserable and by 10:00am I had Ian drive me to Urgent Care to get an IV to become rehydrated. I was concerned that my sugars would fluctuate due to not eating had the fact I had taken Lantus (long acting insulin) the night before. I also tend to need IV fluids every time I get a GI virus.
By 4:30pm, I had been given five liters of saline (they only had saline) and doctor advised me to go to the ER. My stats weren't improving, with my heart rate remaining between 140 and 160. The urgent care doc called and spoke with an attending at the hospital, who advised I be sent by ambulance due to my tachycardia. Not feeling as if I needed the care, I declined the ride but agreed to have Ian drive me. I spent the next two and a half hours trying to convince Ian that I really didn't need to go to the hospital. He insisted and we drove 30 miles to the hospital, which was less than fun on the slick roads.
After taking my stats (my heart rate was at 145), they took me straight back. Another IV was placed and the ECG and labs came back fine, but my heart rate was still lingering around 140. I could hear the residents and the attending discussing how strange it was that even with all the fluids I received I was still experiencing tachycardia. Eventually, after finding few leads and ketones in my urine, they decided that I was still dehydrated and my diabetes was preventing my body from balancing out. Half a liter of saline and a full liter with dextrose, my heart rate went down to 105. They countered the dextrose with insulin and then monitored me without the fluids. At 2:30am I was discharged.
We got back to the car to find that the dome light had been left on and the battery of our van was dead. I was exhausted and it was the coldest night of the year, reaching a record low of -19 F. I waited in a security car while Ian jumped us. The roads were awful and we didn't make it home until 4am. Ian got up at 7am and went to work, I've spent the morning on the couch with the two little ones.
Thankfully, I am feeling much better today. I'm still surprised that it took nearly 7 liters to get my heart rate at a high, but reasonable level. I suppose this is a sign that I should take my health more seriously. I have canceled my last two Endocrinologist appointments as I felt I was too busy to attend them. When I think about that, I know it is ridiculous because I make time for everything else. I plan to an appointment today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
OMGosh!!!! Wow! What a time! I soooo hope that you feel better soon! So sorry that you had to go through all that ... that darn bug!
Wow, what a night! You definitely need to make your health a priority! You need to be healthy for your family if nothing else! I hope you continue to feel better :)
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about this, I hope you're all better now and that it won't happen again. I am glad Ian didn't let you get away with not going to the hospital, it's important that you take care of yourself. And definitely make that endocrinologist appointment !
I've been thinking of you !
Take care!
Angelxxx
What a scary night! I hope you are feeling better, and yes it was COLD that night! Looks like round two will hit us this weekend again, Yuck!
Take care of yourself.
It always takes one time too late to realize that your health is very important. Don't wait too long to do your own appointments and go to the doctor when you feel sick right away. You don't hesitate with your children, you are as important especially in their lifes.
Post a Comment